Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Dinner Theater Update
Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #76259 is a reply to message #76258] Tue, 09 April 2013 23:26 Go to previous message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
Everything sounds great. It is all very articulate, but I have not really had the chance to "calibrate" anything yet. It will certainly go much louder than anyone could withstand, and I can produce clear bass that will knock the building off its foundation. I sometimes wonder if I might have been able to produce similar sound for less money, but I have never wondered if I could have had better sound for the same money (if that makes any sense). As is with anything, one always tries to find the dollar amount that will make 95% of the public happy. Satisfying the other 5% usually costs two or three times as much money. At the end of the day, I know our space satisfies 100%. The 1pis were definitely a money savings over all of the alternatives I considered. The DIY subs were a bargain and FAR cheaper than buying a finished product at retail. I know they are not of your Pi design, but lilmike's F20 from the avsforum.com really do deliver. I could probably have gotten away with only two of them, but they were cheap to build ($350/ea) and are also semi-permanent integrated furniture. I would rather run four of them at less power than two of them at higher power. Peace of mind that I will not blow a driver lets me sleep at night. The 4pi speakers were costly at about $850/each, but at the end of the day I do not regret splurging on the upgrades. They will be behind that screen for a LONG time.

I am surprised how directional everything is. The amps and receivers are tucked away in a server rack on the stage, and one has to be careful when setting volume and power levels. What you hear off to the side in the corner of the stage is not nearly what you hear when standing in the middle of the ballroom in front of everything. A lot of testing needs to be done in order to create "preset" settings for various scenarios (music vs movies vs television). Each movie is slightly different too. I find myself turning knobs a lot depending on my music or video source.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Insulation inside of speaker: Spray Foam?
Next Topic: Low Volume Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 15:55:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout