Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping
Re: Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping [message #76157 is a reply to message #76148] Wed, 03 April 2013 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Dave_S wrote on Wed, 03 April 2013 01:47
It is probably not likely to occur in the near future, but I was wondering if you have noticed audible differences with bi-amping when passive crossovers are placed in front of the amp. My understanding is that the amp will not have to fight the crossover components and can just play the music. If there is an advantage, I might consider building a second F5 or another Nelson Pass design. At this point, it is just curiosity. I definitely do not need the power of a second amp.

Dave,

Are you saying you want the signal chain to be preamp -> passive XO -> amp -> speaker? This may be possible, but the passive XO needed for this configuration will be very different from your current XO between the amp and speaker. The speaker drivers have much lower impedance and more reactive load than the amp inputs which drastically affects the crossover's transfer function. In any case if you're wanting to do a high-level XO to isolate the amps' frequency ranges, then use a DSP crossover to have the best chance of getting the correct overall system response. Since a lot of trial and error will be needed, being able to reprogram a DSP will make it easier.

-Darrell

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message