Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping
Re: Pi Crossover Boards and Biamping [message #76139 is a reply to message #76138] Tue, 02 April 2013 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

To separate the low-pass and high-pass inputs, you would need to cut two traces on the printed circuit board. It would be pretty easy to do, and you could even add a switch or jumpers for input selection. But thinking outloud, I wonder what benefit that would bring? The main benefit of biamplification is reducing amplifier bandwidth, which then reduces power supply requirements. If the amps are run full range, you lose that advantage. Why, then, run separate amps at all?

I can see using a stereo amplifier as the pair of amps for biamplification of a single speaker, using one channel for the woofer and the other channel for the tweeter. Low-pass the woofer channel ahead of its amplifier and high-pass the tweeter channel ahead of its amp. That way the bandwidth is reduced for each. But this requires a crossover be placed ahead of the amplifier. It can be a high-impedance passive crossover or some form of active crossover. Either way, you would need to optimize it as I described in my last post to maintain parity, otherwise the low-impedance (speaker level) passive crossover will still outperform it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message