Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line?
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75274 is a reply to message #75273] Wed, 16 January 2013 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
Guys I want to thank you all for you continued, VERY helpful advice! I have learned a lot from just this one thread!

From reading through this thread and many other forums, sites, and articles... I am convinced that two subwoofers is the way to go. My reasoning is this:

a. Possible flanking.

b. Possible distributed ala Parham, Geddes, and others...

c. An experiment at Sound and Vision seemed to indicate that
after blind listening to one 15-inch, two 12-inch, and four 8-inch, people tended to like all three for one reason or another but were excited about implimenting a middle-of-the-road "2 sub" approach.

d. Possible stacking.

e. Other research (I forget where) seemed to indicate a perceptive "spatiousness" was caused by having two or more subs spread out over a distance vs just one or more in the same spot.

f. One forum member on another site mentioned the idea that some subwoofers may be localizable via harmonic distortions or other phenomina besides frequency, and that having two subwoofers up front could create a "stereo image" of this distortion, thereby placing it (appropriately) in the center. (Or at least prevent all the action from sticking to one side.)

Also, from my own observations from reading many differing opinions on two or more subs: I've observed on other forums that even when people INTEND to stop at one "mega sub", they rarely do. lol In just about every thread I read through, there were multiple people who intended to stop at one, but just couldn't. But, on the other hand, it seems that many people are more than satisfied with only two subs. Three would be icing on the cake. Many people tend to be willing to buy 2 "monsters", but the 3rd one... they have a harder time with that idea. lol Two seems to be the sweet spot. Makes sense!

From my own personal tendencies, I don't think I would want to buy a third sub. Instead, I would buy two BETTER subs, replace the ones I was using, and try to use all four subs! If adding a third wouldn't be as great an improvement as adding a second, then why not skip to the chase and add two more! lol This also opens you to the possibility of building two systems both with 2 subs.

Lastly, having more than one sub opens you to far more ways to have fun experimenting. I think it does anyway. Not only can you experiment with the subs relationship to the room, but you can see how they affect each other, and also play around with flanking and using higher frequencies, etc.

My conclusion? In most cases, you should probably always plan to buy subs in pairs. Smile (If money permits!)

What do ya'll think? Post was too long wasn't it? lol
Thanks for your help!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Next Topic: 4Pi and 7Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 17:41:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout