Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line?
Re: Subwoofers vs budget... where do you draw the line? [message #75272 is a reply to message #75271] Wed, 16 January 2013 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The theory behind flanking subwoofers is valid and the approach is useful in many circumstance, but remember that experimentation is the key. For some time my home theater used subwoofers flanking 3Pi front speakers and a phantom center with fine results, but using a summed subwoofer channel with the same speaker layout had a similar frequency response and was easier to implement with the chosen electronics. A change to 6Pi front left and right speakers and a 3Pi center channel obviated the need for flanking subwoofers entirely. Try a variety of configurations (L - Sub - Sub - Right worked best in my room) and crossover frequencies if going with the subwoofer and satellites approach. Electronic room correction is also an option worth exploring if your AVR offers the feature. The results may be surprisingly good. Obtain a good sound level meter and test discs or a measurement system such as Dayton Audio's Omnimic if possible as these really aid in correctly setting up any stereo or home theater.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Next Topic: 4Pi and 7Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 17:40:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout