Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Looking for some Pi advice for theater ... (4pi vs 7pi)
Looking for some Pi advice for theater ... [message #75235] Mon, 14 January 2013 09:11 Go to previous message
AlphaG is currently offline  AlphaG
Esquire
So I did spend a fair bit of money on a theater layout and am very happy with it. The speakers are specified to be behind a screen wall. I would like to use some of my DIY skills to make the LCR speakers and to that end I have done a lot of reading, multiple forums.

I have come to the conclusion that I cannot design a speaker from the ground up myself, but fortunately the Pi's are available as established plans.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/dipanlokenpatel/floorplan_zpsdfed5976.jpg

So I did some more reading, including Wayne's white paper. Seems like the optimal solution is to use cornerhorns for left and right, but I would like some opinions on whether this is possible in the space. I don't mind putting the LR speakers out in front of the screen wall if they are in the corner. To that end, I can eliminate the front pillars in the room to make a smoother wall-waveguide. In this instance, I can build a 4Pi for center channel use.

The other option is building 3 x 4pi's. Baffle mounting them could prove problematic because of the limited space behind the screen wall, and would be more complicated. And if I used them with "flanking" subs, I would have to build more subs. I already have a plan to build a large front subwoofer (and have some of the equipment for this) and have two Peerless XLS subwoofers that I planned to use in back surround pillars as "distributed" subs. If I eliminate the front pillars, I would eliminate the back pillars and perhaps mount these reinforcing distributed subs in the floor.

Finally, I do feel somewhat hesitant to deviate too much from the specified plan. Hopefully I can find an optimal setup that I'm comfortable with, and one that let's me DIY it with success.

I'm glad I found this resource. Thanks for the help!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pi 1 plans please
Next Topic: Old veneer method, new to me...and it worked!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 22:26:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio