Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My audiophile Pi4 journey
Re: My audiophile Pi4 journey [message #74479 is a reply to message #74468] Thu, 15 November 2012 06:14 Go to previous message
Nick77 is currently offline  Nick77
Baron
mantha3 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2012 19:25
Nice speakers!

I messed around with Jantzen caps in some Troels Gravsen speakers I built. I had trouble telling the difference from the newer Dayton precision 1% variance caps.

I run 14ga Meniscus audio air core inducers in my 4PI. I thought the bigger gage inducers made an audible difference in my other speakers so I went big on this. Meniscus is a good place and they build these custom and measure. You can even buy with slight +/- on the inducer value

I went with Dayton precision audio resistors. The newer line with a better precision % variance. Came close to going Mills. I wanted to get the resistor values exact to plan.

Perhaps some day I'll have to roll some new caps in my set. With more sensitive speakers perhaps I'll hear the difference more.

I did build my own RCA and XLR cables using .9999 % pure limp limp jewelers silver... Pretty easy stuff to work with. Buy raw in what ever gage you want from online jewlery cos and then just put some heat shrink on it and you have some of the best wire you'd ever need. I have thought about redoing the signal path on my tube amp with the stuff.

Just ideas. sometimes the "audiophile" tag gets put on products and the price is unreal high... You buy the raw material and you get some killer performance with excellent value.

You've gone all out with your build. nice!

Thanks... there are several levels of Janzen caps, not sure which ones you sampled but the SuperiorZ are nice. Im not saying the Zcaps are the end all but rather using better caps as a whole if you want to extract the potential. I have a few Auricaps in the bass circuit and were impressed with them also. In fact the Auricaps are Waynes premium preference and im sure i would be equally as impressed with them. The internal litz wiring seemed to just put the icing on the cake. I just wanted to make the point that the Pi4 has a lot of untapped potential from the basic build.
Of course any investment in premium parts is futile without the electronics to hear it. Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4Pi plan request
Next Topic: 4 Pi Plan Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 12:19:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects