Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi speakers - various questions
Re: 3Pi speakers - various questions [message #73881 is a reply to message #73874] Thu, 20 September 2012 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
audiothings
Chancellor
Quote:
Surface treatments are useful for reducing reflections from about 300Hz upwards. But they do not work at bass frequencies, not at all. You can't get a surface treatment to work much below midrange. It would have to be very thick - like measured in feet - to work even down to 300Hz.

Are you using panel absorbers? That's the best way to get damping at bass frequencies. And even so, there will definitely be measureable self-interference ripple from the boundaries. Surface treatments won't work anywhere close to 50Hz - Maybe down to 300Hz or so if the absorbent wedges on your walls are very thick.

Thank you Wayne.

We are lining the entire 4 (of 6) room surfaces with panels similar to the range of low frequency control devices such as panels from RPG (look under the "low frequency" tab), and the Primacoustic Maxtrap. We are also referring to other available documentation on control over the first three octaves, courtesy of the BBC. Control over the 40-120 Hz range is really important to me. Above this, imho, is "kindergarden acoustics", when it comes to absorption...

Regardless, this is still an unprofessional experiment, and I have built no more than three pairs of speakers in my life, and the real science is an alien language to me... so all contributions are welcome...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Question regarding pi4 stuffing
Next Topic: 7 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 07:59:04 CDT 2024