Home » Audio » General » Vinyl to computer without using USB. (Looking for a converter which will accept RCA inputs from amplifier, then input to computer.)
Re: Vinyl to computer without using USB. [message #73498 is a reply to message #73496] Sun, 05 August 2012 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What a can of worms. The turntable will do the job, as will the P-J and external DACs. It all boils down to the question of the quality level of the end recording you want. There are a number of folks on this forum that can clue you in to the details of the analog to digital conversion better than I and hopefully they will chime in to assist. The analog part is more my area. I would personally get the best turntable and cartridge I could afford and feed it to a quality phono preamp and then try to work on the conversion to digital. There is one other possible way that I would consider.... a few months ago there was a post about a programmable device that would take analog signals and using the PC not only convert them to digital, but could apply the RIAA equalization needed.

Regardless, the weak link in the process is the TT and cartridge. You may also consider the quality of the vinyl you are converting. If it is pristine, that is one thing, if it is in bad shape that is a different thing. PC software is available to "clean up" the audio. It tends to work, but will not turn junk into great music. It can't make something better - only less bad.

As an owner of 4 turntables including a Pro-ject Debut III, of the two choices I would pick the P-J. The cartridge (OM10) is fairly good and if you wanted to upgrade it, that is easy. All the OM series differ only by the stylus assemblies. You can jump to an OM20, 30 or 40 just by plugging it into the body. BTW I use an OM30 in one TT and it is fine.

I know this didn't answer all your concerns, and I hope someone will jump in on the digital conversion end.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Clarifier App for iPhones
Next Topic: Any ideas for fixing this?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 13:45:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects