Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How does one emulate the typical theater sound?
Re: How does one emulate the typical theater sound? [message #73495 is a reply to message #73493] Sun, 05 August 2012 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
Hey JustPhil!

Sounds kinda like what I'm dealing with. It's the voices. If I turn the "surround mode" to "virtual", the voice gets a lot more clear! But for some reason, this setting sounds way too weird. It's not right to my ears... but the voices are easier to hear. But when I go back to Stereo or Dolby, it's like the voices get a bit more quiet and muddled sounding. And so I'm tempted to hit "volume up"..... up.... up.... oops! down... down.... down... lol

But, I've been tweaking and moving the speakers... and I think I'm getting the hang of it. For one thing, I really do think these speakers need a sub. Let me correct that... for MOVIES, you need a sub PERIOD. Smile I don't have one (kicking myself). I also think that if you don't have all 5 channels running, Dolby does something funny with the sound. I could be wrong on that one. I also think Audyssey does something funny with the sound sometimes if your auto-setup wasn't done just right.

I also think it's just a question of math: If the dynamic range is higher, there is going to be more distance (in decibels) between the loudest sound and the volume of voices. This difference is something you may have to deal with on a per movie basis. Some movies are just mixed poorly, and some movies are just obscenely loud. I think some movies (older ones?) seemed to sound "brighter" to my ears than others. For me personally, bright + dynamic = ouchy.

Also, my room acoustics are probably terrible (added brightness), and my speakers may not be broken in very well. (I've never let them rip.) Factors factors.

BUT... I think I'm getting the hang of this stuff. Gotta learn your receivers settings and what it all does to the sound. Smile It IS helping me. "Serious" home theater isn't always a simple matter. lol

K. I'm rambling now. I'll chut up. Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message