Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How does one emulate the typical theater sound?
Re: How does one emulate the typical theater sound? [message #73468 is a reply to message #73465] Fri, 03 August 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My home theater sounds much better than any theater I've even been to. Most of the better theaters are running JBL Pro gear, which sounds pretty good, but for whatever reason it is still not nearly as refined as my system. Sounds grainy and artificial by comparison. And that's the best ones, the average ones sound like Best Buy crap.

Now then, I've never been to a Dinner Theater with a well-designed custom sound system. I expect those to be much better. In fact, many of them are running π speakers. Some of them are documented here on the forum.

I'm running a pair of three π mains (or sometimes four π mains) with three π flanking subs. They are toed-in 45°, axes crossed in front of the listening chairs.

I have two π surrounds beside and slightly behind and above the listening chairs. I set them up to reflect off the side walls, so there is actually very little direct sound from the surrounds, it's all reflected. That setup was an experiment that I feel worked wonders. Sound from the surrounds really does just that - it surrounds you.

I don't run any sound processors at all. I have a Denon 3800BDCI BluRay player that supplies all the channels, and I just run them into an amplifier and out to the speakers. I'm running Audio Note amplification for the mains and ProFet amps for the subs. I don't use a preamp, I run directly from source into a potentiometer (RDAC, actually) and into the main amp. It's pretty much a minimalist system.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message