Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » First Post, 2 Pi, Ear Discomfort
Re: First Post, 2 Pi, Ear Discomfort [message #73168 is a reply to message #73165] Sat, 30 June 2012 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
j0nnyfive is currently offline  j0nnyfive
Baron
Thanks for the response Wayne! Very Happy

After relocating the speakers to a larger room, I believe the room may have a lot to do with it. I took them to my parents' house and listened to them at a louder volume for a while, and when my Dad came home, he turned them up even louder, and even after all that, the sensation in my ears wasn't nearly as pronounced. I was watching Iron Man and oddly enough, the weird ache only happened when Rhodey would yell at Tony! lol

The room at my parents' is very large compared to my living room, and I sit farther away from the speakers. When I mentioned a bad build I was referring to whether or not the guy that assembled them got a couple screws too tight or something. I read that could alter sound a bit. Dunno. That was just a left-fielder.

But anyway, I'm going to break them in over at my parents'. I'm going to see if break in affects it before I start looking into room treatments. (Which I was going to look into anyway.)

Okay, I didn't think this needed to be said, but I'm going to say it anyway just in case some ding dong out there misinterprets this thread: If anybody out there is on the fence about getting these speakers, DO IT! I don't think you can find a better bang for your buck anywhere for a sound this big! Keep in mind that I have very sensitive hearing (according to some of my friends). (I think I may have inherited this. It doesn't take much to make my ears ache. My left ear tends to be worse. My Mom has some problems with ear pain.)

My Dad was also very impressed! He cranked 'em high and they definitely put a smile on his face! He has the Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers ($2,000), so it's not like he has no basis for comparison. (Sierra Towers are exquisitely amazing, but at different things. So, apples and oranges here. And they are $2,000 DERRR!!) He also said the Pis sound very good, especially for the price! ($100 per kit. That's insane.) These are good for anything: Music, Movies.. but I gotta say something about movies. If you are into building an awesome home theater, DO NOT underestimate the affect that speaker efficiency will have on the sound. BIG MISTAKE. Gotta be heard to be understood.

So anyway, I think this is ultimately a minor thing, and I'll have these babies back home pretty soon after some break-in cranking. Cheers!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: auralex wedges in place of R13
Next Topic: 1Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 12:14:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects