Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I won some cables at Ribfest and I'm puzzled
I won some cables at Ribfest and I'm puzzled [message #73073] Thu, 21 June 2012 11:09 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Towards the end of the afternoon one of the guys comes to me and says write down your contact info we're about to have the door prize drawings. 20 minutes later I find out I won the biggie, a 3' pair of ICs by Darwin Cables, made by a fella I met there, Bill Magerman.

He told me they're based upon the idea that air is the best dialectric and so are very small gauge wire in what looks to be 1/4" PTFE tubing, nicely finished and terminated.

I took'm home and cook'd them for 50 hours then gave a listen and wrote a review you can find on AA. Now it's 50 hours and many album sides after that and I still can't figure out how one out of a total of three ICs in the loop can make such a difference. I'm guessing this is 26 or even 28 ga. silver wire and the next one in the chain. from pre-amp to amp, is 16 ga copper.!

The bass is the most articulate I've ever heard from my system, especially after setting up the subwoofers, and the soundstage is worlds better. On some recordings, the treble is "hotter" than I recall which may be the character of silver or maybe it's the recording.

So what's going on here? How can one of three wires, four, if you count the 20' speaker cables, trump all the others?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: I'm not much for birthdays, usually, but...
Next Topic: 4Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 01 17:16:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout