Home » Audio » Home Theater » Roku!!
Re: Roku!! [message #72886 is a reply to message #72884] Fri, 01 June 2012 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on that. We have three wireless HD Roku boxes and love them. Now days, a lot of BluRay manufacturers are also bundling in streaming services, much like a Roku box. I really like those too.

The only thing I don't like is the occasional dropouts. But this isn't the Roku box's fault - it's the fault of the core technology of the IP network layer, the very nature of the internet. It isn't made to run video through.

IP was never intended for real-time feeds; In fact, it was specifically designed to recover from situations where connections fail, and not suffer data loss. So everything is broken into packets, and they do not necessarily arrive in the right order. This is great for computer data, that can be re-ordered after it arrives. Not so good for a real-time feed though, like a video transfer.

In spite of that (severe) handicap, in practice, video streams over good IP connections work pretty well. Just don't try and run them on mediocre lines or where wifi has a lot of interference. That suuuuuuucks.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 3D TVs
Next Topic: HDMI cord