Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » High-pass on the 4pi?
Re: High-pass on the 4pi? [message #71619 is a reply to message #71614] Thu, 01 March 2012 14:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I prefer second-order for flanking subs, low-passed between 80Hz and 120Hz. This assumes the subs will be within a few feet from the mains, as described in the Speaker placement and wavefront launch and room modes, multisubs and flanking subs threads.

I like a little bit higher slope, usually third or fourth order for more distant subs,usually low-passed below 80Hz, often below 60Hz. The frther away the subs are, generally, the lower you want to cross them.

Speakers that have "built-in" helper-woofers, like 2.5-way speakers and constant directivity cornerhorns usually respond better with a first-order filter - just a single coil - allowing the helper woofer to blend with the midwoofer (or midrange) all the way up to 200Hz, sometimes as high as 300Hz. I find it useful to blend fully in the 100Hz to 200Hz range, but there is usually little or no benefit going higher than that. But with a single coil, it is inevitable that some higher-frequency energy will get through.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Old 3pi pro vs current 1pi/2pi
Next Topic: Choosing the correct amps to run my Pi Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 21:02:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio