Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Powering my PI Speakers
Re: Powering my PI Speakers [message #71401 is a reply to message #71399] Fri, 17 February 2012 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

I'd run each of the mains on their own channels, and I'd run the surrounds in series / parallel if several were to be combined on each channel. Most prosound amps are pretty tolerant of their loads, but I'd still prefer to keep the load in the 4Ω - 8Ω range. I'd consider 2Ω to be a full stop limit.

It looks like you are planning to run each speaker on its own amp, which is even better than a series / parallel arrangement. I see no issues doing this.

The impedance of one π speakers is above 8Ω through most of the range. But it falls below 8Ω above 3kHz and by 6kHz, it's down to 4Ω. It begins to rise again at 12kHz. Down low, there are the customary peaks at resonance, but they're mild. See the chart at the link below:
Again, since you're planning to run each speaker off it's own amp channel, and each is rated for 8Ω, I think you'll have more than enough load capacity. Looks like what you have is a pretty conservative setup, with no amp being pushed too hard. All are well rated both in terms of impedance and power overhead.

If you were planning to push the system hard, I would suggest that you high-pass the mains and surrounds at their Helmholtz frequencies. But from the power levels you're talking about, none will be pushed hard. The amp will hit a clipping limit before the speakers hit their limits. That, of course, would cause more HF energy than normal, which would create thermal issues on its own. But that's another topic.

My expectation is that you won't be pushing the system to its limits, and if you find that you are, then you'll probably add speakers as well as amps. What you have looks pretty well matched, and should work well within its limits.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle?
Next Topic: 1Pi - 2Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 22:52:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout