Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Favorite Music--Again.
Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7125 is a reply to message #7122] Fri, 01 September 2006 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know Shane it's an interesting mix you got there. On the Mayall; Have you tried " Turning Point?" It's a little mellow, all acoustic no drums or percussion. It's got a nice minor key jazzy/blues quality that gets nice with the late night listening sessions. A little sax solo and acoustic guitar but it has the blues down in the mix.
Electratig did a nice review of the Keith Jarrett "Shostakovitch" that convinced me to buy it and I listen to it all the time. The review is in the archives and it is extremely well written so I would suggest you take a peek at it if only to see good music criticism.
Bill mentions Sonny Rollins of whom I too am a huge fan. If you have a interest in looking up some great jazz sax I would say you can't go wrong on Bills recommendations and I would offer one of my own.
"Without A Song", is Sonny doing a live concert for 9/11 that is not only one of the best done live albums soundwise I think ever but it has some really wonderfull music. His killer version of "A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square", is gorgeous. Clifton Anderson On Trombone does a phenomenal solo on that cut.
In fact Another great Jazz intro album is the live Ahmad Jamal; " Live In Paris." Rich; tunefull jazz interpretations that is easily accesible to everyone by a master piano player.
Can we talk about this Billie Holiday/Dianna Krall thing?
Dianna Krall has a nice voice; it is what I call non-threatening in that it is sweet and simple and sometimes that works; especially for her repretoir'.
Billie Holiday; if the true art of song lies in the phrasing; thats all she wrote. Nothing worth having comes easy; she is definately an acquired taste. But like anything that needs to be absorbed; she needs to be absorbed. The woman can talk a song better than most singers can sing them. Forget th cliche's; plenty of great singers never did drugs; but to have that maturity and insight is very rare. It reminds me of those who say Bob Dylan has no voice; when in fact he has one of the best voices there is; listen to the phrasing; that guy could make Happy Birthday sound like a Mozart Aria.
Are you an acoustic blues fan? Lightning Hopkins maybe?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message