Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 15" woofer
Re: 15" woofer [message #71032 is a reply to message #71029] Wed, 18 January 2012 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I tested Beyma and B&C woofers and didn't like them in my two-way designs. It's not necessarily that they weren't good, they may be, but they didn't work as well as I hoped in either the three π or the four π loudspeakers. They might have been usable, but I couldn't get them to be perfect. Midrange quality is important, and integration with the tweeter is really the critical factor - If I can't get the crossover region dialed in, the midwoofer is not the best match. So I never have offered Beyma or B&C woofers in any of my matched-directivity two-way loudspeakers.

It has been a few years since I evaluated them, and I can't remember which model was best but there was one B&C driver that was closest to what I wanted. One 15" midwoofer was about on par with the Omega 15. It wasn't as good as JBL in quality and the price wasn't good enough to justify it as a replacement for the Eminence. That's why I never offered it. But maybe this situation is different for you, so if you want to try your hand on a design with an alternate midwoofer, this link may be helpful to you:

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Good News about my Three Pi Speaker Kit
Next Topic: I re-decorated: Before and After
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 13:41:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio