Home » Audio » General » Bloated Car Bass
Re: Bloated Car Bass [message #70393 is a reply to message #70392] Mon, 05 December 2011 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Most factory car audio sounds like crap, period!

Most people who think car audio with uber bass sounds like crap have only heard them from the outside of the car.

I've listened to pro car systems that cost as much or more than a lot of the high-end home systems. I've never heard a home system that sounds anything remotely like what I have heard at rock concerts or any live concert that has someone actually playing a kick-drum or hitting a low B on a 5 string bass. I don't mean those little coffee house bands either or orchestra stuff.

Yes, some of them do have ill-defined bass and as such do sound like crap. But the good ones, the really good ones, are sheer pleasure to listen to. When I'm standing in the 3rd row of a concert or up on stage in front of the kick drum I can FEEL the bass damn near move me. Most of the home systems I have heard that have so called "natural" bass have no bass at all. Just blends right in and disappears. Fine if you're listening to acoustic guitar or orchestra, but electrically amplified instruments are designed to be able to be visceral IMO.

One of the best stereo systems I ever heard, car or home, was in a pro audio rig in a car. He had 4ea 6.5" subs with 100W amp going to each one. The bass was phenomenally tight and deep with no boom whatsoever, with the rest of the car essentially controlled with a DEQX type system to balance everything out.

Sorry, but I get very tired of the hi-fi crowd saying that car audio always sounds like crap. When done right they are very, very good, regardless of what the measurements say.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message