Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » AE Drivers
Re: AE Drivers [message #69815 is a reply to message #69814] Sun, 16 October 2011 08:49 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always noted my fondness of the constant directivity cornerhorns, saying things like "nothing else can beat this setup." I feel quite strongly that it is the best configuration possible for home hifi or home theater. The only downside is that not all rooms can support this configuration. In fact, most can't. But if you have the right corners, it is definitely the way to go.
As for the midrange drivers in the midhorn, the Delta 10 is very good in this application. I don't think much of the Delta 10 as a midwoofer (like would be required of a two-way) but it's excellent as a midrange driver, especially when horn loaded. Midrange horn loading leverages its strengths without being burdened by any of its weaknesses. Horn loading reduces excursion and its natural low-pass function attenuates cone breakup. So more expensive drivers tend to gain less, and ironically, sometimes don't even work as well.

No other drivers are suggested for the midhorn in the seven π cornerhorn. We used the JBL 2012 as an upgrade option for a while, but honestly, it didn't gain much for the price tag. A horn loaded Delta 10 does as well as the 2012 did to around 800Hz up, and actually performed better above that. Horn loading reduces excursion and its natural low-pass function attenuates cone breakup.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: One- Pi crossover tweeking.
Next Topic: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 02:42:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout