Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Discussion on waveguides / horns
Re: Discussion on waveguides / horns [message #69423 is a reply to message #69422] Fri, 09 September 2011 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've asked them to send me a couple of them to work with. I like what they've done, looks like a great horn. But it's certainly not just a bolt-on swap, to be sure. You can design a horn to be that way, but it's not necessarily going to be a drop-in replacement, and in fact, I expect some crossover changes and maybe even cabinet changes will be required. So it's definitely not something that will happen overnight.

Also remember that the H290 does pretty much everything I want it to do. It's sort of a happy accident, I think. I'm not sure the folks at Eminence were really trying to make a horn with nearly constant horizontal directivity, but that's what this horn gives. It has some curvature in the side flares, but it functions a lot like the last opening in a CD horn, but with a graceful curve. So that's really pretty sweet.

I made my wood tweeter horn to be a statement part. It looks great and has the an oblate spheroidal flare profile, just like what the SEOS-15 is reported to have. So I expect the two horns to be very much the same, at least in the horizontal. In the vertical, I went with OS in the throat, but transition to more of a LeCleach flare profile at the mouth. This was done to ensure that the top and bottom edge don't cause an abrubt transition, but rather a gradual and graceful expansion of the pattern in the vertical as frequency drops. This makes it easier to work with. All this and I wanted it to be a horn that I could interchange with the H290. I would be so lucky if the SEOS horn could hit those same goals, or close. Time will tell.

Read Message icon7.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Contemplating a change
Next Topic: Been learnin' about crossovers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 23:37:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio