Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » KT120 Class A U/L Mono-Blocks
Re: KT120 Class A U/L Mono-Blocks [message #69375 is a reply to message #69370] Wed, 07 September 2011 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, The KT120s are quite excellent and sound much better than I ever thought they would. And yes I set up the KT120 amps for use with KT88s. Using the 3.4K transformers the KT88s need to use the 4 ohm taps for 8 ohm loads for best results. This is really no big thing unless you have 4 ohm speakers. When I tested the KT88s in the KT120 amps the results were Superior. The distortion at one watt was at the limits of my gear at 0.05%, 10 watts were 0.33%, 20 watts were 0.9% and 25 (the rated power) was at 1.5%. It just hits 3% at 30 wrms (5 watts over the rating I place on them). That's all good, but the sound while quite excellent, was not as good as in the amps designed for them (the Oddblocks). Now back to the question, no, I think the KT88s are better, mostly because you can choose your tubes, the KT120s have only one brand and type. Perhaps if they catch on things might be different. Does that mean that the KT120 amps are inferior, hardly. They rank right up way near the top for what I have listened to. But my personal favorite remains the Oddblocks with the JJ Blue glass KT88s. Sort of a do you like chocolate or vanilla?

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Valve Phono Preamp
Next Topic: "Valve Amplifiers, 4th edition" by Morgan Jones
Goto Forum: