Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pis are back and I wrote a BOOK!
Cone/dome two-way [message #69272 is a reply to message #69261] Thu, 01 September 2011 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd crossover at a lower frequency, but I'm not sure I'd go fourth-order, probably less, depending on what the tweeter could handle. You'll also probably want to make the woofer and tweeter crossover filters symmetrical, i.e. same frequency and slope. It's hard to know what slope to use and what frequency works best, definitely a balancing act. With matched-directivity two-ways, it's a little easier to know the general frequency range where crossover should happen, so the hard part is limited to getting the phasing right to make the best forward lobe. But with a garden-variety cone/dome speaker, we're not looking for a directivity match. As I said, it ends up being a balancing act of competing priorities.

What we're usually hoping for is best on-axis response and a generally wide pattern with fairly uniform off-axis response. Directivity won't be matched at the crossover point, but if power response is flat, then it usually sounds best. There are a few things to balance. Low-order slopes are usually good in terms of transients, and the wide overlap makes the directivities or the midwoofer and tweeter blend, sometimes making directivity actually pretty uniform. High-order slopes are usually better in terms of distortion and tweeter protection, but usually make transient response and directivity suffer. Likewise, a higher crossover usually easier on the tweeter, but directivity and consequently imaging aren't as good. A lower frequency crossover, especially with low-order slope is great for imaging, but greatly reduces power handling, increases distortion at moderate levels and ultimately usually kills dome tweeters. So it's kind of a balancing act.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4pi and 2pi plans
Next Topic: New HT - Need Advice on Speakers - 4pis or 7pis for main, 2pis, and what to use for bass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 06:51:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio