Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Modifed 4 Pi Build Report (Design)
Re: Modifed 4 Pi Build Report [message #68570 is a reply to message #68569] Fri, 15 July 2011 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
Here are a few images of the build. I chose baltic birch for the sides and a cherry veneer.

Router guide for horn:

index.php?t=getfile&id=550&private=0

Rear open encolsure:

index.php?t=getfile&id=551&private=0

I decided to use spliced leaves of veneer and made a what was probably a bad choice of contact cement to apply the veneer. Following the glue directions closer might have helped, but I had done some veneer work years ago and had decent results. I thought that I knew what I was doing. That wasn't the case. I started on the backs of the speakers, but the results were so bad that I stripped the veneer off and decided to start over. To replace the veneer, I purchased 2-ply veneer and it worked well. There was a lot more stiffness, structure, and durability than the veneer leaves that I was using. Looking back, changing the brand of contact cement may have worked with 2-ply veneer, but I decided to make a veneer press. Some of the veneer press images are shown below:

index.php?t=getfile&id=552&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=553&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=554&private=0

The press works fairly well. I am sure that it doesn't come neer the 100 psi recommended on the bottle, but vacuum presses can't exceed 14.7 psi, so I took the chance. In general the press worked well. In the future, I would expand my press clamps from 8 to 12. My first attempt to span about 3.5 ft with 2X4s. I used 4 press clamps on the first assembly. A 2X4 broke with force being applied by any of the clamps. I switched to 2X6 lumber on the top and increased the strength by a factor of about 2.5 times. I also used fewer clamps per assembly and shorted the span of each assembly to about 2 feet. This increased the press strength substantially. I was still never sure if anything would break but it worked well. For the platten that was used to press the veneer, I glued and nailed two sheets of plywood to make a stifff platten. For places where I rounded the corners of the cabinet with my sander, I had to go back and reclamp those area separately. I also ran into problems on the front of the speaker cabinets. The area between horn and the woofer were too flexible to generate a decent clamping force. If my internal braces were in place, it probably would have worked better. I definitely do not recommend that everyone switches from veneering to building a press. The press was expensive and still had areas where the veneer did not adheer properly. If people use a better contact cement and a more rigid veneer like 2-ply or NBL veneer, they should be fine. Also, I don't think that a veneer press would be a suitable choice for MDF due to strength and flexibility issues. Next time, I will probably take Bill Epstein's advice and try urea resin for glue.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Setting 4pi LCR upside down in theater?
Next Topic: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 11:41:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio