Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Excited =)
Re: Excited =) [message #68496 is a reply to message #68495] Wed, 06 July 2011 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Dave, I'll really look forward to seeing your press. A few years ago, when veneering with PPR (urea resin), I bought half a dozen cider pres type screw clamps on sale from Woodcraft thinking I would build a press. Turned out I would have needed 2 dozen and a brooklyn bridge construct of angle iron so they're stored away somewhere.

I've also thought of vacuum bagging, the $300 for the pump and bags doesn't bother me so much as having to veneer both sides of the panels, then gluing up, then edge-banding and so forth.

PPR is the King of veneer glues and with Bill Martinellis help, how I taught myself to do this:

index.php?t=getfile&id=540&private=0

Takes lotsa clamps, 24 hour clamp time and you still have bubbles that need to be heated and re-clamped.

Weldwood Contact Adhesive, the solvent kind, NOT the water base or gel, is the answer to "lets listen to these things this week"!
A ridiculous amount of custom, high-end furniture is made with it, not just countertops. BUT, you can't use unbacked, or what we call leaves of veneer. The pros mostly use paper backed cause it's cheaper than 2 ply. I like NBL 'cause there is no black line in lighter veneers like Maple and Cherry and it's really flexible, draping a 3/4" round-over with ease. I pay about $75 for those species and Walnut plus about $20 shipping for a 4x8 sheet.

One drawback to laid-up 4x8s as opposed to leaves is you can't bookmatch and have no choice of grain. The new Walnut speakers look exciting at first, but frankly, they're kinda "busy" up close day-after-day.

I prefer the more straight-grained look of the same veneer, different batch that made the 4Pis. I suspect that I should be able to specify either rotary (busy) or flat cut (straight-grained) in the future. I'm already planning the next build, a pair opf 2Pi Towers with the S-B 29 Tweeter, which will be 1/4 sawn Cherry.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PI4 Build for home theatre
Next Topic: Any Pi builders in Ireland ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 18:46:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio