Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Excited =)
Re: Excited =) [message #68495 is a reply to message #68489] Wed, 06 July 2011 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
I thought the front baffle was double also. With "IMG_2288.jpg", there are two distinct shades on the edge of the front baffle that makes it look like two sheets are sandwiched. However, when I compare the thickness of the sides, the total thickness looks similar.

The link that Bill provided looks like decent veneer and is probably cheaper. I bought mine locally at Rockler Woodworking. The 2-ply has one side with grain running one way and the other side has grain running perpedicul. It helps to stiffen the sheet. That link for what I used is here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2217&filter=veneer

The main thing that I liked about the veneer was that it seemed to lay flat. If the veneer is not stiff enough, the chances of the veneer not lying flat increases. I had seen other veneers that looked so thin that they would not lay flat. Because of the original veneer that I chose, I made a veneer press and used regular glue. In the end I liked it, but it was a lot of work and expense. I will do future projects with the press, but I don't think that I would steer others in that direction. You may want to get a recommendation from somebody else about a brand of contact cement. What I chose was nothing like what I had used in the past despite my best attempt to buy a quality product. That was one part of my problem and why I went to using regular glue and making the press. I will post the press pictures when I do my post on my build.

As far as veneering, I have never used dowels like Bill. I generally have used several layers of parchment or wax paper and pulled one sheet out at a time. One has to be careful to not trap the wax paper in there,so dowels may help. My laminate counters have a piece of wax paper trapped inside. With the veneer that I had, a few seconds of light sanding seemed to improve adhesion. So for me, my original problems (not including the 2 ply veneer) were using thin veneer that did not lay flat, using a less effective contact cement, and not sanding for better adhesion. You would have a hard time not improving on my initial results.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PI4 Build for home theatre
Next Topic: Any Pi builders in Ireland ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 19:18:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio