Home » Audio » Craftsmen » More on Formica Cabinets
Re: More on Formica Cabinets [message #68115 is a reply to message #68114] Thu, 09 June 2011 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That looks really great, Bill.

I had an unusual requirement of the Formica covered cabinets I have. They're little one π speakers that are sometimes used in a car or van. That was their original purpose. I put Velcro on them, which sticks great to the carpet and holds them in place pretty well, preventing them from sliding around. I don't use them often, but if going on long trips in a rented van, it's a nice way to have good music.

The thing is, when used in a "normal" environment, the speakers look great and never cause me any trouble. The finish is very durable and can stand up to anything. Except one thing - when you put them in a car, and then leave it out in the sun for a few hours - the black Formica gets too hot to touch. I'd say it's probably 150° Fahrenheit, maybe more. After a couple days of that, the glue that holds the Formica down starts to fail, and the edges curl up.

Now granted, this is an unusual situation, one that no loudspeaker cabinet should endure. But it's a situation I faced, so I set about trying to solve it. What I found was that if I used an epoxy adhesive at the edges, that seemed to be able to survive the heat. I left the glue that the cabinetmaker used in place, because it did a good job holding the majority of the surface. I didn't re-do the whole cabinet. It was just the edges that peeled up, so I put epoxy under those edges, clamped them and wiped clean. Seems to work, never lifted up again.

Sorry for the semi-off-topic thought. Just wanted to throw that out there, in case you ever run into something like that.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Too much DIY?
Next Topic: How Hard Is It?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 17:37:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio