Home » Audio » General » Overproduction other than auto-tune
Re: Overproduction other than auto-tune [message #67775 is a reply to message #67715] Sat, 21 May 2011 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Compression is not the problem at all IMO. I've heard albums that sound absolutely amazing and there is not a thing I would change that every instrument is compressed to at least -6db. You must do it in the mixing stage and not the mastering stage though.

The problem is laziness. Compression is a delicate art that requires applying the effect multiple times and equalization between applications.

For the record, people calling over compression "clipping" is not accurate. There is nothing clipped at all on a square looking waveform due to compression. All that happens is that the 3db "peak" that was there is matched to the loudness of the rest of the sound. True, it may sound abrasive. It may appear that a signal had it's top chopped off, but that simply isn't the case.

I've said it before and I'll say it now. There is a lot of hypocrisy in saying that analogue is pure and digital compressed is an abortion that has no business in quality production, considering they are doing the exact same thing, but with a different sound. Analog sounds warm because it is compressed at both the recording stage and when the information is physically recorded on to the medium. This is distortion, not fidelity. When someone does anything in digital to enhance the sound at the expense of fidelity it is always met with harsh criticism. The same thing is usually praised in analogue.

Are people really that "not over it" when it comes to Digital Vs. Analog?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Digital Camera Batteries
Next Topic: Show us your setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 18:49:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects