Home » Audio » Speaker » Best Brand
Re: Best Brand [message #67105 is a reply to message #67092] Tue, 19 April 2011 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Adveser wrote "I completely disagree about Sony. They are well known for making headphones and speakers. My Technics are great speakers..."

Many of the big names in electronics, including Sony and Panasonic (Technics) once sold some good consumer oriented speakers, but these products have largely been discontinued or downgraded to the extreme budget end of the spectrum.

The Sony product I'm referring to is this one: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665191299

I needed some cheap speakers to combine with an old receiver and DVD player to build an inexpensive two channel audio system for a friend, and I checked out he Sony speakers and the Parts Express B-652 speakers. Wouldn't it be great if you could get an ok sounding speaker for less than $50?

In both cases I found the speakers were cheaply constructed with the most rudimentary crossover (woofer running full range with an only an electrolytic cap as the tweeter high pass filter). I didn't measure the frequency response of the Sony, but it sounded much like the PE speaker shown here, with the bass down 5dB at 100hz and a big treble null at 8khz caused by the tweeter being crossed over too high: http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=15873

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Good wire article
Next Topic: What can you do when they get wet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 04:57:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio