Home » Audio » General » Audio file format (wav, mp3, flac, wma???)
Re: Audio file format [message #66929 is a reply to message #66452] Wed, 06 April 2011 22:10 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
GoodVibrations wrote on Wed, 02 March 2011 19:57
I thought only wma would work in a CD player, such as in the car. Is this true, or will other formats also work? I know my MP3 player will play wma and MP3 formats, but I haven't tried anything else yet.

I think that was the marketing from MS. Basically they used to claim that you could burn CD's using WMP from WMA files. Obviously, they were converting them to Wav, then indexing them to CDA. I don't recall them ever claiming you could use someone else's software to burn WMA directly to disc for playback on a CD. Granted I have seen WMA supported in some players, more than likely a DVD player because those have to have more flexibility to play all the weird codecs people use in videos.

I'm in the same ballpark as Shane now. I was very unhappy with what I saw when I looked at a F Analyser comparing MP3 to FLAC. Once I did some testing and figured out that not only does FLAC work with everything else I do, but it does some non-audio things better, like tagging faster.

I've basically been depressed and very unhappy with music for the last few years I was listening to MP3s. I hadn't gotten into very many "new" albums and had a hard time listening to stuff I had originally heard on CD. After listening to the FLAC rips, I can say the reason behind all of it was the MP3's. I've been pretty much listening to music for at least 6 hours a day since. I noticed when listening to a beat and worn cassette that it had something there I was missing, regardless of how bad it sounded. I slowly pieced things together and gave it a shot.

I'm of the opinion right now that you can't even talk about high quality if you are using lossy compressed files. Your amp, speakers, DAC, Sound Card, drivers, speakers...they might as well be complete junk running MP3. You are throwing away your money until you go lossless.

Here is a photo of the comparison. YES you can hear the difference.

http://adveser.webs.com/photos/untitled.jpg

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Recording Software
Next Topic: Audio books
Goto Forum: