Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Driver selections (4pi)
Re: Driver selections [message #66766 is a reply to message #66765] Sat, 26 March 2011 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 2426 can be used interchangably with the DE250. It is a smooth high-quality driver that used to be what I put in my fully upgraded top-of-the line systems. The thing is, it rolls off fairly early giving you what most audiophiles would call a "polite" top end. If that's what you like, then go for it. But it just isn't as good as the DE250, in my opinion.

The JBL 2451 is a 1-1/2" compression driver, so can't be used with this design. It has even less top end than the JBL 2426, so even if it could be made to fit, I wouldn't be satisfied with its performance. I personally don't like to go with larger compression driver because the top-octave isn't as good. In most cases it isn't there and even in the better drivers with Beryllium diaphragms (that do have top-octave output), throat dimensions make the top octave beamy, basically set by the internal throat angle (about 10°). Bottom line, only 1" exit drivers can be used in any of my designs.

As for the 2227, it can be used in place of the 2226 but it cannot be made to work as well. It's not terrible, and in fact, has some advantages, specifically, greater max SPL from better thermal control. So if you are looking for high SPL applications, you might consider using it. You'll definitely need subs with that driver, but really, you need subs with the 2226 too.

The problem with the 2227 is in the crossover region. It has a fairly pronounced on-axis rise around 1kHz. It's not bad at all off-axis, and so with the crossed-axes setup it sounds pretty good. The overall power response isn't too bad because up that high, the off-axis response is falling off, matching the horn. But still, it doesn't match as well as the 2226, which is why I no longer offer it for my top-of-the line systems.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Wayne, which speaker for PA tops?
Next Topic: One pi plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 09:55:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout