Home » Audio » Source » Turntables
Re: Turntables [message #66720 is a reply to message #66604] Sun, 20 March 2011 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 10 March 2011 14:42

I have several of the old half-speed masters and they really sound wonderful. The "garden variety" store bought vinyl albums aren't all that special but the half-speed masters are. They aren't as effortless as CDs in that you have to go through the cleaning ritual and all that. But there's something nostalgic about vinyl records, and again, the half-speed masters sound incredible.

I think the "garden variety" albums are all very special because there's just a diferent feeling from the CDs. It's not just the jacket, or liner notes,or brushing the needle before applying Stylast; the additional ambient information on vinyl including the odd click or pop makes it more involving. Perhaps that's only true of us oldsters that grew up with it.

Another point that rewards vinyl listeners is that changes in components have bigger rewards than digital. There just isn't as much difference between CD players as cartridges or phono stages. When I first acquired Dr. John "Gumbo"

http://images1.wax.fm/dr_john_dr_johns_gumbo-SD7006-1256597414.jpeg

I was disappointed how muffled his voice and piano were in the mix with the Technics SL-1210, Benz Ace and Nova Phonomena (that's some pretty fine $2300 bucks of equipment!). Played it again tonight with VPI HW-19 MK IV, Soundsmith re-tipped Aurum Beta S and Steve Browns new phonostage: night and day difference. The voice is right out front and over his remarkable piano and had me waaay inside the music.

index.php?t=getfile&id=333&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=334&private=0

And, of course, when you have 4Pi Speakers all those changes get show-cased!

index.php?t=getfile&id=335&private=0

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message