Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Will Longer Wires Reduce Sound Quality?
Re: Will Longer Wires Reduce Sound Quality? [message #66654 is a reply to message #66650] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Trust me, unless you are wiring sound across a big warehouse or something like it will not degrade the quality at all.

People say "quality" when they mean impedance (total resistance to current) in wires. I have read that this problem was solved long ago anyway.

I think the confusion lies in people's assumptions about components. They see a resistor that is the size of an ant that has a large number attached and assume that 20 lbs. of copper is going to be somewhere in the ballpark. I know I would if I didn't know better. But that just isn't the way it works.

The only problem I have ever heard is when an audio engineer needs a very low-impedance cable and they need 250 feet of it...tall order, but can be fixed with a "buffer" that adjusts the impedance.

There is no such thing as quality loss or a better quality cable with digital. It works or it doesn't, unless you are talking about making your own Fiber Optics cables, which if you were, you'd know what the deal is on the loss of propagated light. Don't worry about that though, that's a bit much for the discussion.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: lubricants for audio
Next Topic: Sub Box