Home » Audio » Source » Turntables
Re: Turntables [message #66604 is a reply to message #66603] Thu, 10 March 2011 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I had one of the Technics direct-drive tables and an Audio Technica AT20SL cartridge back in the early 1980's. I really liked it, sounded great and never needed any service. Set the anti-skate and tracking force once and never fooled with it again. But I sort of let that go when CDs started becoming popular.

Thankfully, I was always very meticulous with my vinyl albums, handling them well, storing them properly and cleaning them before use. I never played them on a mediocre quality table and the needle and tracking weight were always right. So I kept my record condition in good shape, and even after I stopped playing them, I kept them stored them carefully.

In 2000 or so, I wanted to get a new table and a friend turned me on to the Regas. I was still kind of partial to the Technics tables, but the Rega was one of the nicer ones and the price was right. So I snatched it up.

I have several of the old half-speed masters and they really sound wonderful. The "garden variety" store bought vinyl albums aren't all that special but the half-speed masters are. They aren't as effortless as CDs in that you have to go through the cleaning ritual and all that. But there's something nostalgic about vinyl records, and again, the half-speed masters sound incredible.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pro-Ject Debut III Noise with Speed Box