Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 Owners: How Big is your "space"
Re: Pi 4 Owners: How Big is your "space" [message #66308 is a reply to message #66301] Fri, 25 February 2011 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Frihed89 is currently offline  Frihed89
Baron
Matts, Thanks for helping me. Please stick with me, if you can because maybe I am confused or on the wrong track.

My Audio Note speakers are "about" 90dB sensitive, according to AN. This means they are probably < but close to 90dB.

When I encounter music that has slow, quiet parts and fast, loud parts, I set my preamp volume so I can hear the quiet parts reasonably well and can hear the louder parts at volumes that are not ear-damaging. So, there is a reasonable amount of room between the max and min volume I hear. I never change the volume after that.

Is that the wrong approach?

Now, I have a feeling that, because my amps aren't that sensitive and because the max power my amp is putting out is between 3 to 3.5W, I am hearing some pretty high distortion levels when the music is fast and loud. The music actually sounds pleasant enough as a whole, but listen carefully and the inner resolution is gone. I have a feeling that there is something harmonic going on with this distortion to make it sound sort of pleasant.

I have a 300B amp (10W). The problem isn't nearly as bad during loud passages.

Why am I determined to listen with a 2A3 or even a 45 amp? Because I prefer their tone and character to the 300B.

So, do I solve the problem with Pi-4s: Will the much higher sensitivity of the P-4s and the fact that it may even be easier to drive than my current speakers give me:
1. Lower distortion in the peaks;
2. Not overpower my room, especially the bass bounce off the wall right above my sofa, which would be 2-3 m from the speakers, depending how far they should be from the walls behind them.

Am I asking for too much? Actually, I want a pair of Davore Fidelity Orangutangs, but they are far out of my price range.

Thanks for listening.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Where's the best tweeter position? Aesthetically, too?
Next Topic: matching 3pi subwoofer with a high sensitivity speaker like the 4Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 09:31:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout