Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Request plans and Klipschorn question
Re: Request plans and Klipschorn question [message #66139 is a reply to message #66138] Wed, 16 February 2011 13:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, that's true. You can delay the midhorn and tweeter to match the path length of the Klipschorn to get summing right, making a clean forward lobe that's where it's supposed to be. The midbass directivity would then be set by the walls, just the way you want it. Of course, lower bass is never determined by wall angle, that's a room mode thing, best mitigated with multiple bass sound sources. But the point is, with delay, I think you'd achieve parity.

One extra thing I'd probably do is to use a mild low-pass to reduce the bass bin output above 200Hz. You want some overlap to help reduce floor bounce, but you don't want energy through the basshorn at high enough frequency that it starts sounding throaty and ragged. There's a certain amount of acoustic low-pass from the folds, but it doesn't seem to attenuate the lower-midrange standing waves that line up inside. That's something I notice from Klipschorn bass bins that I think is somewhat easy to correct. Just low-pass them a little lower than the stock design requires. Then maybe you can have your cake and eat it too, good acoustic load and constant directivity.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Request...plans
Next Topic: Where's the best tweeter position? Aesthetically, too?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 06:44:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio