Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Review
Re: Vinyl Review [message #65969 is a reply to message #65953] Thu, 03 February 2011 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think there's a fundamental discussion, underlying the turntable verses CD debate, and that's analog verses digital. So I've started a new thread:
I have to agree with Shane on this one. Turntables have their share of problems, but they are very satisfying when you have a good one. Audiophiles cherish their vinyl collections and treat them with great care. When you have a good record on vinyl, and you play it on a good turntable, it really sounds great. Remember that vinyl was our media of choice for decades.

I have a very nice turntable and I also have a very nice CD player. Both cost several thousand dollars, and my collection of media is in the thousands for each. So I'm pretty heavily invested in both technologies, and don't plan on "switching" either direction. I'll keep them both.

To me, the vinyl records were the "reference standard" in the years before the 1990s. I recorded my records on reel-to-reel tape and sometimes cassette mostly for convenience, and also so I wouldn't wear out the records. There are some high-quality reel tapes available that would trump vinyl, but I never owned any of that type of media. So vinyl was the highest quality source I had for years.

Now days, I have some very high quality digital media too. It sounds really good, and is as convenient as any tape. Even more so, because they are even moer durable than tape. I take care of my (CD) disks just like I did my vinyl records and my tapes, and so they will probably outlast me. It's hard to say which sounds better, the CD or the half-speed masters I have on vinyl.

But I must admit, I think the vinyl sounds just a little bit better. Maybe it's just the ritual I have to go through to play it, but whatever it is, it's nice.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message