Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Review
Re: Vinyl Review [message #65951 is a reply to message #65943] Wed, 02 February 2011 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't think people are trying to be ironic or unique. I have heard many systems with TT as the source and most of them, if set up correctly with a good amp and properly cleaned records, have blown away all the digital sources I've heard on the same systems.

I don't know where you are located, but you might try and go to one of the audio shows that go on around the US (Rocky Mountain, Lone Star, etc...) and give a listen to some of these antiquated systems. They aren't even at their potential in a hotel room. Not even close. Yes many of them are expensive, but there are many rooms that have their whole model line there and they will often swap out that expensive deck for a lower model if asked.

Most people I've found that think others listen to vinyl for the nostalgia have never heard a decent vinyl rig. Most people don't want a decent vinyl rig either because it involves more than just throwing a record on the TT (unlike a CD or PC based sources), or they think they can't get the newest music and have to settle for old stuff.

As for the sound you're getting. Have you went through and updated the innards of the STA-84? Probably needs a recap at least at 30 years old or so.

That Shure cart is made for DJ scratching, not really hi-fi reproduction. Get a good cart if you're serious, otherwise you're probably just damaging the vinyl you have.

I don't think the lack of frequency response has anything to do with your vinyl as much as it does with your TT rig. Yes some carts can have sibilance, especially if not set up properly.

Have you checked the speed on your Kenwood? You need correct set-up which is tracking force, anti-skate, azimuth, cartridge alignment, good quality interconnects, and good grounding to realize it's potential. Those Kenwoods can be decent decks if set up properly.

Don't expect your $10 rig to convince you to listen to more vinyl. It most likely won't. Just like a $25 CDP will most likely sound like the junk it is.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message