Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Where To Learn More?
Re: Where To Learn More? [message #65873 is a reply to message #64964] Sat, 29 January 2011 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes. There is. Every book on audio engineering and mixing I have found could be called "audio for dummies"

Those books are easy to read and they explain how sound works effectively enough.

The Human range of hearing is 20hz-20,000Hz (20hz-20Khz) though most people's hearing stops between 15-17Khz.

Response is generally considered the electrical output/conversion to acoustic energy (which is the movement of the speaker, not be confused with "acoustics"). I am not sure, but I think the specs are what works in a vacuum where there is no such thing as room acoustics. You can take a speaker's response as 20-40000hz as being just that. The only qualifier is the amount of space between yourself and the speaker that is required to produce a complete waveform of 56.5ft at 20hz, ~28ft at 40hz, ect.

I am not sure though because I have heard conflicting information about the ability to hear a waveform even if it physically can't exist in a space. I've been told that headphones can only reproduce the frequencies that can fit between the space between the speaker and the inner ear, but if that were true, why can I play a 20hz tone through them and it sounds like 20hz? Wayne, do you know what the deal is with this?

Check your PMs, jl

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message