Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » It's so great to have 12 inches
Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65667 is a reply to message #65638] Wed, 12 January 2011 11:47 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Looks cool man. So one of them has a dome tweeter and the Pi's have compression tweeters?

MY PA has a compression tweeter crossed over at 4.5K and it murders the 3-way silk domes in clarity, but I like the smoother and more extended response of the 3-ways better myself Smile

Perhaps the treble roll-off is exaggerating the 4-8K region or the lack of serious weight in that region in the 3-ways is to blame.

I personally hate the sound of overemphasized 4-8Khz. That's where our ears are most sensitive (actually 3-6K, but close enough), so I don't think there's any reason to jack those up. Those frequencies create clarity in the low-side and sibilance, sharpness and edginess in the higher-side of that range.

I do like plenty of 8-16Khz though.

On the Bass end, I like the output signal putting out almost a reversed roll off (roll in?) on the bass. The spectrum analyzer shows the bass is about 10db louder than anything else at 20hz and slopes down into a straight line until the treble roll off occurs.

You are 100% right in my opinion on the tweeter being ear level. Wayne has said in the past that some speakers are not focused there so it always helps to check to see if something new works too.

I plan on adding some subs eventually to help out the speaker's somewhat lean 35hz-40Khz through a 10.5" woofer. I think that is the right thing. Especially when dealing with albums that are mixed to be felt through your bones and heard with your ears.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2pi studio bracing and port
Next Topic: My Pi 4 Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 18:56:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations