Home » Audio » General » What Are Your Top 5 Favorite Headphone Brands? (A general discussion of the best headphoner manufacturers today)
Re: What Are Your Top 5 Favorite Headphone Brands? [message #65323 is a reply to message #65321] Fri, 17 December 2010 10:01 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree no need for a DAC if your soundcard is up to the challenge, but the majority are not, especially in a laptop, otherwise everyone would be running them direct to their speaker systems. Most sound like crap and are noisy.

When I think of headamps, I think of dedicated amps just for headphones. Commercial stuff like Ray Samuels or DIY from Cavalli Audio and AMB. This stuff will outperform anything your getting directly from your PC or old receiver. There are a few preamps out there that have very good headphone outs, like Pinnacle, but they are few and far between.

I was into DIY headamps and have been through several, including the SOHA, Millett variations, and a Stacker II prototype. All sound better than anything else I've tried. These are all tube amps, but there are many SS ones out there and the ones from AMB are notoriously excellent.

If you are seriously interested in headphones I would go on over to Headfi.com and check it out. In my opinion they are more passionate about the art of music reproduction than the speaker crowd.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Welcome to BuildAnAmp.com!
Next Topic: Great Collectors Market - France, May 2011
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 20:22:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout