Home » Audio » General » Are iPods obsolete?
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65048 is a reply to message #65038] Wed, 01 December 2010 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That is exactly why I use a 20 year old stereo Smile It'll probably never be obsolete. My hearing isn't gonna get getter than about 40-20000 Hz anyway and I won't use all 240 watts. I see absolutely no reason to use anything else. Building stuff or putting together other stuff for fun is cool. I like doing that. There's the magic of a child's perception in my speakers, something that is irreplaceable. They've become like family.

Some things, like vintage analog solid state equalizers, are timeless. I see the Ipod become laughable like the Sony discman. It's had a good run, but it's about time for a new format to make money with. They're trying Vinyl again, which seems like a step in the wrong direction. Thats the two extremes these days. Great quality but with a very outdated and problematic peformance with vinyl.

Digtial, the format to end them all is a mess. They can do far better than Redbook Audio. 8-track or 4-track albums would cut down on piracy.

Instead we get the lowest quality rips of the CD's that were problematic to begin with. Now someone is going to make available the complete original redbook. It's kind of like going back to eight track.

I see good things on the horizon. The physical store for good cheap audio is nonexistent other than places like Guitar Center. But prices have dropped significantly. (a pair of speaker that used to cost 1500, now about 150 for roughly the quality)

I see a great deal of people becoming much more aware of quality as it naturally gets better. Components are cheap and it's competitive and lucrative. So, I guess we all win.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message