Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cure for brightness
Re: Cure for brightness [message #64912 is a reply to message #64876] Fri, 26 November 2010 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
notben is currently offline  notben
Chancellor
Thanks everyone for the discussion. Just want to reiterate how wonderful I think the speakers perform.

My sources are the following: AR XA turntable with Jico SAS stylus on a M91ed cartridge, several Sony' cd players from the 80's and 90's, ipod, iphone, air tunes etc. and I also have a small home recording studio and I use Apogee DAC's and ADC's, which are some of the industry's best.

One of the reasons I am most suspicious of the Solen caps is that I have tried them before. I have recapped some other speakers with them and gave them hundreds and hundreds of hours. One pair of Sansui SP1700's that sound pretty darn good, I eventually changed one of them back to electrolytics (new of course) and compared them directly to the Solen, and Dayton I might add, for months and and ended up taking the Solens out for the tweeters and 4" mid drivers and used the electrolytics.

I still think I am going to just try a pair of motor runs first before altering anything else.

By the way, one of my favorite new pressings to compare left and right channels is the new Beatles Mono Box Set. Since you are getting the exact same mix in left and right, you can get an excellent comparison of sonics and performance between channels.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message