Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cabbing some Eminence Beta 15s
Re: Cabbing some Eminence Beta 15s [message #63924 is a reply to message #63923] Fri, 27 August 2010 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

PiAlign choses a cabinet and tuning, and doesn't allow you to change that recommendation. There is a little Helmholtz calculator (below) I always used way back when if I wanted to find the box frequency of a given cabinet volume and port. Now days you can do that with any T/S simulator.

I personally didn't work much with the Beta series parts. Not that I thought good or bad of them, it's just that Eminence had so much overlap between series. I've pretty much settled on Alphas for the lower cost drivers, Deltas for the mids and Omegas for the larger prosound stuff. The Betas and Kappas were always good canidates too, but like I said, they are practically overlapping specs with drivers I already use in my standard lines.

For a while, I had even more cabinet/driver combinations but I've narrowed the line to just a few drivers. Those are what I felt gave me the best price/size/performance ratio. But there are a lot of other combinations that will work very well. Sounds like you're on a good track for finding one of them. Keep us posted with your progress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helmholtz Calculator

http://www.pispeakers.com/Helmholtz.gif

Here's a little BASIC program that will calculate the formulas for you, if you can still find an old BASIC interpreter around somewhere.
    10 INPUT"Enclosure Volume";VE
    20 INPUT"Diameter of Port";PD
    30 INPUT"Length of Port";PL
    40 VB=VE*1728:PI=3.1415926535:AP=PI*((PD/2)^2):LC=PL+((8*PD)/(3*PI))
    50 FR=(13548/(2*PI))*(AP/(VB*LC))^.5
    60 PRINT"Fr =";FR;"Hz."
    70 GOTO 10

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Plan request and THANKS
Next Topic: 2 Pi Tower Speakers - How far from back wall?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 04:57:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio