Home » Audio » General » Headphone Crossfeeding
Headphone Crossfeeding [message #63710] Thu, 05 August 2010 23:56
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I am going to preface this with a short aside about why I am doing this. The hearing in my left ear is not as strong as my right ear. That said, I have to adjust the balance on the windows K-mixer pretty often. I don't have to do this with loudspeakers at all. So I want to create a better virtual center channel.

Now that that is out of the way. I use winamp and probably always will for a variety of reasons. There is a plugin that will crossfeed the right into the left and vice versa. Basically a 4-channel mixer that goes into 2 channels. I've tested it a few times and it works for exactly what I want to do. Which is introduce a small (or large) amount of the other channels signal into each headphone driver.

Given that I have never used this before, I don't know what would be the negative consequences. I noticed the signal is a bit louder obviously, but that is corrected already because the gain never exceeds 93.5db.

Anyway, what are we dealing with here? Is there going to be a phase cancellation somewhere (the plugin will do that too, if you wish, by using different levels for each channel)

What I really want to know is what is the typical amount of variation from one ear on a well placed set of speakers. That is to say, if I turned off the right speaker, how loud would the left channel be in each ear?

I know this is a complicated issue and it is hard to get across, but any advice or input would be helpful.

Here is a link to see what the plugin looks like:
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/channel-mixer/124427

Read Message
Previous Topic: Audio processing tool packages
Next Topic: Best Headphones on the market
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 24 13:18:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio