Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4.5 possible? (Pi4 with two JBL 2226H's)
Re: Pi 4.5 possible? [message #63433 is a reply to message #63429] Sun, 18 July 2010 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Infrasonic wrote on Sun, 18 July 2010 03:19
I do have a question about your response to his thread. In there you mentioned, "Run the bottom woofer off the midwoofer crossover output, but add a large coil in series to limit its output to the bass range.". Just to be clear on this, he can get away with having both woofers hooked to the lowend output of your Pi4 crossover (with an extra filter for the bottom woofer in series for that output) and not have to modify your crossover? It looks like I couldn't do this simply like he did as the final load would be 4ohm. Everything else I can make work. I know the cabinet stuff and all that but the way I handle the crossover always goes over my head. What am I to do? I want to use your crossover network and have two 2226H's. Sad
With 2226H (8Ω) woofers, you can connect the midwoofer directly to the output of the crossover PCB, and tie another using a large value coil in series. The first woofer is the midwoofer, outputs connetced directly. It is the only load "seen" by the crossover, because the "helper" woofer is isolated by the coil, and the impedance of that branch becomes very high in the crossover region, sort of taking it out of circuit. At low frequencies, the coil impedance becomes low enough that both woofers are in parallel with each other, so the total system impedance drops slowly to 4Ω at the deepest bass range. But that's OK, most amps can handle that load. All speakers have some impedance fluctuation.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message