Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Heresy Box for 3Pi
Re: Box for 3Pi [message #63119 is a reply to message #63114] Thu, 10 June 2010 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, yes, the response doesn't peak too badly in the smaller box so I suppose you could put the TD12S in a box that size, tuned to ~35Hz. The three π cabinet is quite a bit larger, as you have now seen. So it's definitely going to act differently, mostly in the bottom end. It's a fairly simple box to build too, so even if you don't have the tools or the space, a local cabinetmaker could probably build it for you at reasonable cost.

Using a smaller cabinet puts you in that uncharted territory of mods, which I sometimes suggest makes new analysis and measurements in order. But smaller cabinets don't generally have standing wave problems like larger cabinets do, because the frequencies where standing waves line up are shifted higher and the insulation inside can do a better job damping that range. Because of that, I'd trust the upper midbass and lower midrange wouldn't get lumpy, and that port and midwoofer position would be a little less important where standing waves were concerned.

If you go with a smaller cabinet, I think subs will become a requirement, as the system will not reach down as far. Then again, subs are a good thing even with the standard larger model, because as you know, you can't have too many bass sound sources. Multiple bass sound sources smooth the modal range in addition to increasing extension.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 3Pi or 4Pi better than modded Klipsch Quartet?
Next Topic: 2pi crossover question and opinion for near-field monitoring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 03:09:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout