Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? (4 Pi VS 7 Pi )
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #63076 is a reply to message #61567] Sun, 06 June 2010 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
Well, FINALLY got the Pi 7 bass cabs built. Have been using JBL 4507 cabs since December last year- quite satisfactorily, I must say. Not knowing too much about acoustics, I was somewhat anxious that the reduction in cabinet volume would result in less extension or 'punch'. But, if both are tuned to the same frequency, then performance must be similar in that regard, right?
So, I did the experiment. Used two window braces above and below the woofer, port was simple and I was able to finish both (MDF was cut at the hardware store), in a day. Initial impression was the the bass had tightened up and was as smooth and full as with the 5 cubic feet cabs. Most notable was an improvement in midrange balance- NICE! Won't ramble on too much until I've become accustomed to the change.
In summary, I think the most accurate statement that I can make is that I share a similar taste in speaker voicing to Wayne. I also run two Pi 3 subwoofers using the adapted car subwoofer crossover suggested by Wayne on the forum. Have used a valve amp with the Pi 7 but am preferring a Yamaha pro-amp now.
A big thanks to Mr Parham!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message