Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Build my own subs (to build or not to build...)
Re: Build my own subs [message #62441 is a reply to message #62440] Thu, 29 April 2010 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think that the number of subs required really depends on the environment and application, but you'll be hard pressed to find mains that can keep up with the 12π hornsub on a one-to-one basis. Usually, I see at least two mains flown for each sub. Some outdoors events require eight or sixteen subs, but then they usually have at least twice that many mains hung in an array on each side of the stage.

One place I'm real familiar with is a fairly large indoor venue, large enough that the Schroeder frequency is well below the audible band - so it acts pretty much the same as an outdoor event. They are only running four 12π hornsubs, grouped together under the stage in the center. There are sixteen mains hung as vertical arrays, eight per side. The subs have no problem keeping up with the mains. Typical seating is about 5000 people.

Direct radiating subs are just the opposite; They often require more subs than mains. Little systems in indoors clubs are good canidates for this approach, with a couple of mains and maybe four or six subs. Sometimes you'll use a pair of mains per side, and then maybe eight subs scattered around. In this case, the number of subs helps break up room modes just like in a home hifi multisub setup. Indoors in small venues is a totally different deal than outdoor or arena setups where you want to group the subs together.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ultrasone Headphone Tip of the Month