Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi/ 4pi plans
Re: 3pi/ 4pi plans [message #62345 is a reply to message #62339] Tue, 13 April 2010 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hot grits is currently offline  hot grits
Esquire
thanks for the reply. Must get pretty annoying answering questions about modifying plans that you spent countless hours on, and give out for free. I do appreciate your patience.

I think I am going to definitely go with the 3PI with a couple of modifications. I have to get these to look a little more livingroom friendly to get it pass the wife.

From reading old posts it seems it would be better to make the cabinets deeper rather than taller.

I plan on having an approximately 16" baffle with either large facets or a big roundover, maybe 3 inches.
I will keep the driver distances from each other the same.
I would like to center the port widthwise under the woofer.
The baffle might be 2.25" deep if I go with the facets.
If I change the height, maybe I should curve the sides, back or front to help deal with standing waves.
I am also thinking of building the enclosure angled up a couple degrees toward the listener sort of like a parallelogram.
And finally instead of building stands. I might build it to look like a floorstander in which the bottom of the enclosure is seperated from the actual speaker enclosure as to not effect the enclosure volume.
Is there a certain height the woofer should be limited to off the floor.

I am planning to buy your premade crossover for this project. With all these changes I am doing, I wonder if I should go the active Xover route. Of course I would rather not have the expense of buying amps but I am a little nervous that I am deziating too much from the plans.

Sorry for all the rambling.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 3 Pi Modifications
Next Topic: pi 7 plans and questions
Goto Forum: